WNDB Friends and Followers:
On behalf of the WNDB board and staff, I write to let you know that WNDB will continue to provide support and resources to our followers as we all find ways to stay informed and connected in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our team works remotely and is paying attention to the impact of the pandemic on educators, families, authors, publishers, librarians, and booksellers across the country.
Earlier this month, we announced the cancellation of the 2020 Diversity in Children’s Literature Symposium and Walter Dean Myers Awards Ceremony in response to concerns about the spread of COVID-19. We anticipate additional changes to programs planned through the end of the year. While some programs may take a new form, scale back or be postponed, we are exploring ways to uphold our mission and respond to the needs of communities adversely impacted by health concerns, school closures, and economic pressures.
To start, we are opening up our communications and social media channels in the following ways:
- Inviting authors and illustrators to submit their requests for the promotion of new releases. You can use this link to submit requests: Social Media Request Form.
- Promoting the efforts of independent booksellers to keep book lovers supplied and connected
- Working with publishers to keep the supply of diverse books flowing and to remain focused on the diversity of their staff and authors.
- Working with expert contributors to provide tips and resources for homeschooling and literacy education
- Curating and posting resources for educators, families and authors/illustrators
- Ramping up online video programming such as YouTube and TikTok to bring in-person engagement into a virtual space
Thank you for your continued support and for your efforts to keep bringing diverse books to children and families.
Nicole A. Johnson
We Need Diverse Books