Mentorship Submission Guidelines
Please read the guidelines in their entirety. Failure to comply with any of the submission rules results in disqualification.
To apply for the WNDB™ Mentorship Program, submit the following list of items via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A panel of judges will select a pool of final applicants based on merit. The mentors will choose the mentee with whom they will work. All applicants will be notified of mentors’ decisions via email in January 2018. Due to an overwhelming number of applicants, we are not able to provide feedback or critique on submitted manuscripts.
To apply, please send an email and attachment according to the instructions below:
- In the body of your email, please include the following items:
- An autobiographical statement with how you identify as diverse (if at all) and your career summary (250 words or less).
- A statement on how you or your work will bring forward an underrepresented voice or viewpoint (250 words or less).
- The title, genre, intended age, and very brief pitch of your attached manuscript (100 words or fewer). For illustrators or nonfiction author/illustrators – a link to your online portfolio that showcases your children’s illustration.
- Contact information (name, address, email address, telephone number)
- Attached as a document (.doc or .pdf), please send an unpublished work sample:
- For Middle-Grade (MG) & Young Adult (YA) fiction applicants – send the first 10 pages of one novel plus a one-page synopsis, in the same document file. (Do not attach them as separate files, please). Please do not include your name on the manuscript (see formatting guidelines below).
- For Picture Book text applicants (PB) – send ONE entire picture book manuscript of fiction, if less than 2000 words. (If more than 2000 words, please only send the first 2000 words of your picture book text.) Do not send any image files or insert images into your manuscript. If your picture book is a work of nonfiction/creative nonfiction, please follow these guidelines but submit it for the NF category. Only fiction will be read for this category. Please do not include your name on the manuscript (see formatting guidelines below).
- For Illustrators and author/illustrators of fiction (IL) – send one PDF file containing 3-5 of your best illustrations (images may be on separate pages, but all in one file please). Images may be standalone or part of a book dummy with text/captions. Total file size may not exceed 15MB (we recommend 72 dpi for quick online viewing).
- For nonfiction (NF) submissions, follow the picture book guidelines if your manuscript is a nonfiction picture book, OR follow the MG / YA guidelines if your nonfiction manuscript is a longer book-length work geared for ages 10+. A one-page outline is acceptable instead of a novel synopsis, but please include it within your one manuscript/document attachment. If you are an author/illustrator who intends to illustrate the particular manuscript submitted for the nonfiction mentorship application, you may submit the manuscript as a dummy low-res PDF or include a link to your portfolio samples online. Both of our nonfiction mentors this year are qualified to give feedback on both text and art. Please do not include your name on the manuscript or dummy (see formatting guidelines below).
Manuscript formatting guidelines:
- Text should be typed, double-spaced, and have one-inch margins. Use standard paper/page-setup size (vertical 8.5 x 11”) orientation with 12-point Times Roman or Arial font. Page header should include title of manuscript, genre/category, and page number only. The manuscripts should not contain any personal identifying information (please remove names/contact info from manuscript file). Acceptable formats are .pdf and .doc/.docx (for text) and .pdf only (for image files or dummy files).
When sending your application
Please paste the essay/informational requirements (Number 1) in the body of the email and attach the manuscript or image file (Number 2). Send email addressed to WNDB Mentorship Team at email@example.com.
Email Subject line MUST be formatted as: Application for [Category Code] Mentorship
Example: Application for PB Mentorship
The category codes are: Picture Book (PB), Middle Grade (MG), Young Adult (YA), Nonfiction (NF), and Illustrator/Author-Illustrator (IL).
Documents should only be sent as .doc, .docx or as .pdf file attachments as outlined in the guidelines. Do not send more than one attachment—please include a synopsis or outline, if requested, within your manuscript file.
Submissions must not be received before 12:01 a.m. (US Eastern time zone) on October 1, 2017, and must be received by 11:59 p.m. (US Eastern time zone) on October 31, 2017.
If you have questions, please check our Mentorship FAQ before contacting us.
We will continue to update the FAQ section below as new questions/answers arise. Questions not addressed here in the submission guidelines or in the additional FAQ section can be asked through sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do NOT put the word ‘Application’ in the subject heading when sending a question only, or your message may not reach the regular inbox in time to be answered.