Walter Award Submission Guidelines
*** The submission window is now closed. ***
Please check back in early April for updated guidelines for the 2019 submissions cycle!
2018 WALTER DEAN MYERS AWARDs
FOR TEEN AND YOUNGER READERS
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: NOVEMBER 1, 2017
WNDB is pleased to invite submissions for the annual Walter Dean Myers Award, also known as “The Walter,” named after celebrated children’s book author Walter Dean Myers (1937-2014).
The 2018 Walter Award will be given in two categories: Teen and Younger Readers.
One book will be awarded the 2018 Walter Award for Teen Readers. One to two books will be chosen as 2018 Walter Honor Book(s) for Teen Readers. The age range for these titles is 13-18.
Additionally, one book will be awarded the 2018 Walter Award for Younger Readers. One to two books will be chosen as 2018 Walter Honor Book(s) for Younger Readers. The age range for these titles is 9-13.
The Walter Awards will be decided by a judging committee of esteemed librarians, educators, and authors. The co-chairs of the 2018 Awards are Terry Hong and Maria Salvadore.
The 2018 Walter Awards will be announced in January 2018.
The deadline for submissions is November 1, 2017.
- A submission must be written by a diverse author and the submission must be a diverse work. If a work has co-authors, at least one of the authors must be diverse.
- A diverse work constitutes a work written by a diverse author featuring a diverse main character. For works without a main character, the work must address diversity in a substantial capacity.
- Work must be an original work published in the United States for the first time in 2017.
- Work may have been originally in another language and translated, but the first English publication date in the United States must be in 2017.
- For Teen consideration, work must be determined to be for an audience of ages 13-18.
- For Younger Readers consideration, work must be determined to be for an audience of ages 9-13.
What is meant by “diverse”?
Authors must identify as one or more of the following. The main character of the story must also identify as one or more of the following:
- Person of color
- Native American
- Person with a disability
- Marginalized religious or cultural minority in the United States.
- If the work does not include a main character, the subject matter must pertain substantially to diverse experiences and content.
- Socio-economic status and class do not qualify as diverse for the purposes of this award.
Any submission received that does not meet these requirements will not be read.
Publishers are invited to submit eligible titles for consideration to the Walter Award Judging Committee. One physical book must be provided to each of the committee members. Please contact WalterAward@diversebooks.org to receive members’ shipping addresses.
When publishers submit books, they must supply information regarding which book[s] they are sending. Such information includes:
- A tally of the books included in the shipment, with the publication dates for each book
- The diversity with which the author identifies
- The diversity of the main character or the overall diversity of the work.
Publishers must submit physical copies. Physical copies may be a finished book or an ARC.
Self-published titles are not being accepted at this time.
To maintain a professional boundary between judges and authors, no author, their family member, or their business partner may directly send any materials to a judge. If any author, their family member, or their business partner sends a work to a judge directly, that work will be disqualified.
Please note: The last date to mail eligible titles is November 1, 2017. Entries must be postmarked by this date to be eligible for consideration.
For any questions, please contact WalterAward@diversebooks.org.
We look forward to your submissions!