WNDB established the Books Save Lives Grant to provide up to $5,000 for school libraries to purchase diverse titles. WNDB will prioritize grants for schools located in areas most impacted by book bans and censorship.
Each Books Save Lives Grant will provide up to $5,000 per school library. The grant money must be used toward purchasing diverse books and the books must remain on the shelves for a minimum of three years.
- Applicants must nominate a school library within the United States to receive a Books Save Lives Grant. Applications may be completed anonymously.
- This is a United States-based grant. Nominated schools must be located within a U.S. state.
- The grant must be used to purchase diverse books for school libraries. Winning libraries may select titles and quantities based on book lists provided by WNDB. We will ship the books directly to the school. Note: we will continue adding books to the lists.
- Winning schools must provide a signed written agreement that the books they receive via the grant will remain on shelves for a minimum of three years.
The following are required for consideration:
- Full name of the school you are nominating
- Address of the nominated school
- Contact's name at the nominated school
- Contact's position at the nominated school
- Contact's email and phone number at the nominated school
- Which grade levels does the school serve?
- What type of institution is the nominated school?
- What is the median household income in the community where the school is located?
- Does the nominated school currently have a library?
- Why are you nominating this school for the Books Save Lives Grant?
- Please tell us about the book bans and censorship efforts at this school or in the school's larger community.
- What impact would this grant have at the nominated school?
- All of the above must be submitted using our online application form below.
- Any submission received that does not meet these requirements will be purged without being read.
We look forward to your submissions! For additional information, please read our FAQs below and direct any questions to email@example.com.
Winning schools will be able to select diverse titles from book lists provided by WNDB, which have been vetted by the WNDB team that's comprised of award-winning authors, teachers, and librarians. We will then ship the school's selections directly to their location.
Each winning school may also submit a list of up to 30 diverse titles that they'd like to receive with their grant money, pending review.
Note: WNDB will continue adding books to the lists.
Please complete the application form on this page during the application window. You may apply anonymously if preferred, but all required questions must have a response.
Yes, all nominated schools must be located in a U.S. state.
Winning schools may choose titles from book lists provided by WNDB, which have been vetted by the WNDB team that's comprised of award-winning authors, teachers, and librarians. Winning schools may also submit a list of up to 30 diverse titles for purchase approval, pending review by WNDB. Note: We will continue adding books to the lists.
We aim to respond to all applications by March 31, 2023.
There is no application fee to apply for a Books Save Lives Grant.
Yes, applicants may apply to both grants at the same time.
The Books Saves Lives Grant provides up to $10,000 in funding for school libraries to purchase diverse titles. Applicants may be educators, parents, and community members. WNDB will purchase books based on the winning school's preferences and will ship them directly to the school.
The Educators Making a Difference Grant provides up to $2000 in funding to recipients and can be used toward purchasing diverse titles, planning events focused on diverse literature, performing diversity audits, and more. Applicants must be US-based educators employed at least part-time in a student-facing role. Grant money is given directly to the applicant or their employer.
Yes, previous recipients of our grants and other funding are eligible. You may also simultaneously apply for multiple grants/programs at WNDB, including our Educators Making a Difference Grant.
WNDB will notify winning schools with their grant amount. Winning schools will then select the titles and quantities they'd like to receive (based on book lists provided by WNDB and approved diverse titles from grantee). WNDB will ship the books directly to the school.
Please direct any additional questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grantees must respond to two surveys following the receipt of the books and must provide photos, testimonials, and data on the number / demographics of students served.