Books Save Lives employs a three-pronged strategy to directly address book bans and champion diverse titles. We will raise awareness, provide resources, and create positive change, all while supporting the educators, authors, and children most affected by the bans.
At WNDB, we recognize the power of a diverse book.
They make a child feel seen.
They teach empathy and resilience.
They foster literacy.
They even save lives.
But diverse books are under attack. As book bans sweep the country, they disproportionately target diverse stories. We've watched in alarm as more and more titles are removed from shelves—but we are going to fight back. Because books save lives.
And we invite you to join us.
Launching on December 1, 2022, our new Books Save Lives campaign will employ a three-pronged strategy to directly address book bans and champion diverse titles. We will raise awareness, provide resources, encourage literacy, and create positive change, all while supporting the educators, authors, and children most affected by the bans.
- The Books Save Lives Grant will allocate up to $10,000 for schools to purchase diverse titles for their libraries and classrooms. We will prioritize grants for schools located in areas most impacted by book bans and censorship.
- Working with the grassroots organizations in battleground states, WNDB will produce educational resources to bolster their on-the-ground efforts, arrange author visits, and support media specialists and educators as they navigate book bans. WNDB will produce a guide for educators to help them conduct conversations around banned books, and encourage literacy.
- Finally, we will offer support to diverse authors in the form of book buys, publicity for challenged titles, and paid school visits, all to bolster income.
Here's how you can help:
- Join our social media campaign starting December 1. Take a photo of yourself with the book that saved your life and share its impact in your life. Post your text and image to your social media accounts starting on December 1 with the hashtag #BooksSaveLives. Let's show the power of a story and why the book bans must stop.
- Champion diverse books in your community. Speak up at school board meetings; recommend diverse books at your library; purchase and review books by diverse authors. Remind decision makers how diverse books create empathy and encourage literacy. Every little bit helps!
- Make a contribution. We hope you consider making a gift to WNDB as we launch Books Save Lives and as we provide support and resources to the teachers, librarians, children, and authors most affected by the book bans.
If you have any questions about our work, this campaign, or book ban resistance resources, please reach out to Kaitlyn Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.