About We Need Diverse Books. In 2014, We Need Diverse Books (WNDB) began as a simple hashtag on Twitter to respond to the lack of diversity in children’s literature. Four years later, we have grown from a grassroots movement into a non-profit with a team of volunteers that spans the globe. We work to create a world where every child can see themselves in the pages of a book. We see our blog as a way of informing, advocating, and engaging our broad-base of volunteers, social media followers, authors, educators, librarians, and contacts in the publishing industry.
Position Summary. WNDB is looking for blog volunteers with experience writing for an audience or an interest in interviewing authors about their work. Blog volunteers will work with the Communications Manager to select authors to interview for the blog. Together, the volunteer and Communications Manager will develop questions for email, phone, or video interviews with these authors. Volunteers will write blog posts based on these Q&As, in author profile or Q&A format, to be edited by the Communications Manager and scheduled for publication and promotion. Volunteers may receive print or digital receive copies of forthcoming books depending on publisher availability.
Volunteers may be tasked with sourcing book covers, author bios, and author headshots from the publisher. Blog volunteers can choose to pitch authors for the blog or to receive assignments from the Communications Manager. WNDB publishes author interviews across all age ranges from picture books for young readers through young adult/new adult books, and all volunteers will have the ability to choose whether they want to interview across age ranges or specialize in a specific area.
The ideal candidate will be eager to promote the mission and programs of WNDB and will have an interest in author interviews. The ability to communicate effectively in written and oral communications is a must. Applicants seeking a long-term relationship with WNDB will get first consideration.
This position reports to the Communications Manager.
- Write 2 or more blog posts in a calendar year
- Work with Communications Manager to select authors for interviews and to develop author interview questions
- Interview assigned authors and draft author profiles or Q&As based on these interviews
- Edit blog posts under the direction of the Communications Manager
- Excellent writer and spokesperson, someone who understands how to frame a message in a clear, concise, and compelling way
- Passion for or experience with author interviews, and a serious interest in children’s literature
- Software: Word or Google Docs
- Ability to work independently
- Possession of excellent verbal and written communications skills
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and a professional writing sample (ideally a Q&A or profile if possible) to Alaina Lavoie at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your cover letter a list of 3-5 authors who have books coming out in 2021-22 who you would be interested in interviewing for the blog. Applications close on February 26, 2021.